[Avodah] Cellphones and Driving: A Halachik Perspective by R. Yosef Kanefsky

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Dec 15 18:19:17 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:41:52PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> So common sense says to behave safely and not to take stupid risks;
> but to turn this into a halachic proscription on specific acts is a
> great responsibility, and not something that can be done on the basis
> of a few studies.  How about just reminding people of the halacha we
> already know: "don't be an idiot"?

Given our attitude toward piquach nefesh and safeiq PN, I would think
that it take "great responsibility" NOT to point out something that
professionals in the field found to be a great risk.

> PS: See this article http://26i.mj.sl.pt (from Popular Mechanics),
> and this 2-year-old one http://26i.ml.sl.pt (from US News).  Also
> this one http://26i.mt.sl.pt (from PJ Media) about alcohol, and
> possible over-enforcement in that area.

But when in doubt, we're machmir -- in fact chamira saqanta mei'isura.

Micha Berger             Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
micha at aishdas.org        In that space is our power to choose our
http://www.aishdas.org   response. In our response lies our growth
Fax: (270) 514-1507      and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)