[Avodah] Halachic Policy Guidelines of the Kashrus Authority of Australia

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Dec 15 11:24:36 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 02:18:08PM -0000, Chana Luntz wrote:
: RMB wrote:
: > The product isn't inspected, the ingredient isn't listed. So how do we
: > know it's there? I thought the whole point of this line of reasoning is that
: > we don't have to inspect, we don't have to know, since we also have bitul.
:
: Nobody approves a product without asking the manufacturer for a full list of
: the ingredients...

I'm not sure what to say, since I already posted to the list a quote from
a Kosher Authority - Australia web page which says that they do. See
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol28/v28n247.shtml#13>, or the original page
<http://www.ka.org.au/index.php/Halachic_Policy/The_Kashrut_Authority_and_Kashrut_in_Australia.html>
the part that reads
> a. If there is a definitely non-kosher ingredient then the product will
> not be listed regardless of the ability to nullify....

> b. If there is uncertainty as to the nature of an ingredient or if
> it's sub-components have not been able to be thoroughly investigated --
> provided that there is a reasonable likelihood that it is of kosher origin
> and in the worst case scenario the ingredient would anyway be batel --
> the final product will be approved ( but never certified)."

Aren't they asserting that they only rely on bitul when the thing being
mevutal is not definitely a problem anyway?

Since RZS mentioned "approved" products even in the US and Israel,
unflavored (possibly only if not dark) beer is a famous example. Whisky.

The Star-K web site also has the traditional types of tea, including Earl
Gray (which includes oil of bergomot and therfore I thiought it more of a
chiddush) as not needing a hekhsher. Ended up not mattering to me, since
by the time I got this answer from them, they started certifying a good
and cheap importer anyway.

Micha Berger             If you won't be better tomorrow
micha at aishdas.org        than you were today,
http://www.aishdas.org   then what need do you have for tomorrow?
Fax: (270) 514-1507              - Rebbe Nachman of Breslov