[Avodah] Hamakom yinachem eschem

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Dec 14 16:33:11 PST 2011

R' Yitzchok Levine asked:

> I really do not understand what it means to say "the Neshama
> of the deceased is also present."  Why does the Neshama need
> comforting and what does it mean to comfort a Neshama?

The neshama has just been cut off from his ability to do mitzvos, and from his ability to communicate to loved ones, and from many other activities. Regardless of how wonderful his new life might be, it seems obvious to me that he would experience some degree of pain and sadness at being deprived of these things, and would need some period of transition to get used to his new life. This is the comfort that we'd be asking Hashem to provide to him.

Even if he is like a newborn, who has no memory of his previous life, he could still need comforting even then -- or *especially* then -- because of the punishments which he will now have to endure.

Akiva Miller