[Avodah] new chumrah

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri Dec 9 10:16:21 PST 2011

At 11:47 AM 12/9/2011, R. Eli Turkel wrote:

><<Weinberg adds, however, that anyone who places food over a flame must at
>least observe the Jewish Sabbath. "It's not a question of clothing, it's
>Jewish law," Weinberg says.>>
>
>see
>http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/kashrut-inspectors-jerusalem-burger-joint-workers-must-don-kippot-1.400439
>
>what is the reason for such a halacha?
>As far as I know even a goy can put the food on a pre-existing fire

I presume that this has to do with the differences between Ashkenazim
and Sefardim when it comes to bishul akum.

>From  http://bit.ly/uQNLnC

PILOT LIGHTS

There is a dispute among the Rishonim (early commentators) whether
bishul akum is negated when a Jew contributes to the cooking process
by lighting the fire before a non-Jew places a pot of food on the
stove, The major codifiers of Jewish law argue this point as well.

Rav Yosef Caro, author of the Shulchan Oruch, subscribes to the
stringent opinion, and this is the custom practiced by Sephardic
Jewry. According to this view, a Jew must place the pot on a burning
fire in order that the food be considered bishul
yisrael<http://oukosher.org/index.php/common/article/playing_with_fire_by_rabbi_yaakov_luban_senior_rabbinic_coordinator_ou_kash#fn8422401934ee24f3d578fc>7.
Alternatively, a Jew may turn on the fire after a non-Jew placed the
pot on the cold
stove<http://oukosher.org/index.php/common/article/playing_with_fire_by_rabbi_yaakov_luban_senior_rabbinic_coordinator_ou_kash#fn4417851484ee24f3d580cd>8,
The Ramo follows the lenient opinion, and allows a gentile to place
raw food on a fire that was ignited by a Jew. Since the Jew has a
share in the overall process, the food is, not considered to be
bishul akum. The Ramo goes one step further, and writes that if a Jew
has even a partial role in preparing the fire, bishul akum does not
apply. For example, if a Jew added a wood chip or any other fuel to
the
fire<http://oukosher.org/index.php/common/article/playing_with_fire_by_rabbi_yaakov_luban_senior_rabbinic_coordinator_ou_kash#fn9716348094ee24f3d588a2>9,
or alternatively, if a non-Jew lit a fire from another fire which was
originally ignited by a Jew, there is no restriction of bishul akum.
In both of these instances, the fire is considered aish yisrael (fire
of a Jew) because of the involvement of the Jew. Jews of Ashkenazic
descent follow this ruling, and accordingly, a non-Jew may turn on a
gas burner which is ignited from a pilot light that was lit by a
Jew<http://oukosher.org/index.php/common/article/playing_with_fire_by_rabbi_yaakov_luban_senior_rabbinic_coordinator_ou_kash#fn2181290504ee24f3d5906c>10.
However, stoves with pilot lights are no longer common, and it is
important that observant Jews realize the serious halachic concerns
associated with meals prepared by hired
help<http://oukosher.org/index.php/common/article/playing_with_fire_by_rabbi_yaakov_luban_senior_rabbinic_coordinator_ou_kash#fn257088954ee24f3d5983e>11.