[Avodah] Vegetable Peeler

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Dec 7 14:57:46 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 02:35:02PM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: R' Aryeh A. Frimer asked:
: > I must admit that I never understood why there should ever be a
: > problem with a peelr, since the peeler always remove the klipa
: > (peel) with Ochel (food) - hence the peeler NEVER does borer.
: I suspect that you are referring to the case of removing an insect from
: one's soup...
: By my recollection, it is because the actual division is being made
: between ochel and ochel, and the bad stuff is removed incidentally...

Just to bring an off-list discussion to the rest of the list.

Many of us are somekhin on this when making tea. Using a spoon to remove
a teabag along with some tea in order to avoid borer bekeli (the tea
bag). Whatever is the maqor for this common practice does not presume
that it only works when removing the pesoles is incidental.

Micha Berger             The fittingness of your matzos [for the seder]
micha at aishdas.org        isn't complete with being careful in the laws
http://www.aishdas.org   of Passover. One must also be very careful in
Fax: (270) 514-1507      the laws of business.    - Rav Yisrael Salanter