[Avodah] Rav Moshe Shternbuch: On Teaching Children Tanach

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 15:32:49 PST 2011

From: "Prof. Levine" <llevine at stevens.edu>
>From  http://revach.net/article.php?id=437

The minhag in today's Yeshivos is  not to teach Tanach before learning
Gemara. Rav Moshe Shternbuch (2:457)  explains that learning Tanach
requires even deeper understanding than  learning Gemara. A Mekor for
this is Rashi in Brachos (28a) who says that  one should stay away
from too much Tanach.

The danger he says is that  people do not realize this. ...
This is not to say that Tanach is blacklisted, says Rav Shternbuch.
One who has learned a great deal of gemara and poskim and has
acquired a  great deal of Yiras Hashem is required to learn all of
Tanach and must know  it thoroughly.(See also
<http://revach.net/article.php?id=4351>Rav  Vosner's Tshuva on this subject)

I knew Rav Sternbuch in South Africa but have not  seen him in years.
However, if I ever do see him again, I would like to  ask him some questions
about this.  I went to a very frum school* in which  the students were taught
Tanach before ever learning Gemara, indeed, in which  Gemara was never taught
at all.  And then in Johannesburg, while R'  Sternbuch was there, I myself
was a teacher in such a school** -- in  fact, I taught Tanach -- and I don't
recall that he ever voiced any  objection.  So far I still haven't gotten
around to learning  Gemara.  I would really like to ask him what he thinks
about that.

*Bais Yakov of the Bronx
**Bais Yakov of Johannesburg

--Toby Katz