[Avodah] Rav Moshe Shternbuch: On Teaching Children Tanach

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 6 07:23:57 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 07:32:26AM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
> From http://revach.net/article.php?id=437
>
> The minhag in today's Yeshivos is not to teach Tanach before learning
> Gemara. Rav Moshe Shternbuch (2:457) explains that learning Tanach
> requires even deeper understanding than learning Gemara. A Mekor for
> this is Rashi in Brachos (28a) who says that one should stay away from
> too much Tanach.

Yes but... There is an explicit mishnah that expects a 5 yr investment
in Tanakh before starting mishnah (halakhah pesuqah), and another 5
before gemara. How does RMS explain not following a mishnah in Avos?

I do't mean lemaaseh -- not following a mishnah, especially one in Avos,
is unsurprising. I mean that RMS is giving advice based on something
R' Yehudah ben Teima also most have realized. /Some/ explanation as to
why we need different priorities than chinukh in the days of the tannaim
did ought to be given. And for4 all I know, was... Revach.net doesn't
quote the whole teshuvah, and I don't own a copy to be able to look up
2:457 myself.

RDE? Could you please help?

Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."
http://www.aishdas.org         - Rav Yosef Yozel Horwitz, Alter of Novarodok
Fax: (270) 514-1507