[Avodah] re Halachic guidlines for kashrut

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Nov 30 11:00:07 PST 2011

On 30/11/2011 1:53 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 01:47:44PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
>> How could non-glatt meat be *less* expensive than glatt?  The labour
>> involved in checking the lungs must surely make it *more* expensive.

> Because fewer cows pass inspection, and that cost outweighs the labor
> time.

Rejecting cows costs very little, because they just go over to the
treif side of the plant.  The labour of shechting and inspecting this
animal has already been spent.

> I'm also not sure if checking there are no sirchos at all is all that
> much faster than checking if the sirchah can be peeled.

That's not glatt v non-glatt, that's Bet Yosef v ordinary glatt.
Once a lung has a definite sircha, checking it involves inflating the
lung in water, which is more work; and until this is done the animal
can't be butchered so it must be held intact in some holding zone
which involves more cost.  I don't see how it can possibly come out
cheaper to do this than to just reject it and move on to the next
animal.  Non-glatt meat only makes sense when labour is cheap, and/or
you have no ready treife market for your rejects (such as in EY).

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will