[Avodah] Halachic Policy Guidelines of the Kashrus Authority of Australia

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 29 17:20:09 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 09:56:59AM -0500, Prof. Levine quoted
<http://www.ka.org.au>, The Kashrut Authority [of Australia, New Zealand
and the Asia Pacific Region]. One page says:
> These products are often published in lists with the notification that
> indeed these are not certified products but endorsed products. Such
> lists appear in Australia , South Africa and the United Kingdom as well
> as other countries.10 According to the Noda B'Yehuda such products,
> considering the particular circumstances, are as kosher for the final
> consumer as formally certified products. The Ksav Sofer would concur
> only when there was no similar product at the same price available.

But another page on the same site appears to cite that very page and
then contradict:
> Many might be tempted to say that the approved products are ‘less kosher’
> than certified products – such a statement is in my opinion wrong. The
> reality is that they fall under a different halachic paradigm.
> Similarly there are two distinct paradigms in relation to supervision of
> kosher foods. The certification paradigm, when a company comes to you and
> pays you for your services as well as markets also specifically to Jews;
> and the approval paradigm, where you initiate the visit to the company,
> you are not paid by the company and the company are not particularly
> interested in the Kosher market.

I am startled that the latter page RYL quoted presumes we should ignore
the Kesav Sofer and take the Nodah biYhudah for granted.

I'm trying to understand the NbY's position. Assuming I have a choice
between two pieces of meat -- one is the famous piece from the 9 chanuyos,
the other I have been holding on to ever since its perfect shechitah and
kashering. Does the NbY really hold it doesn't make a difference which
I choose?

Wouldn't venishmartem me'od lenafshoseikhem mean that one mustn't risk
the 1 in 9 chance of timtum haleiv? Or did I find someone who actually
definitively holds thart it's violating the issur which causes timtum,
not something inherent in the cheftzah?

Micha Berger             The Maharal of Prague created a golem, and
micha at aishdas.org        this was a great wonder. But it is much more
http://www.aishdas.org   wonderful to transform a corporeal person into a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "mensch"!     -Rav Yisrael Salanter