[Avodah] Birds & Fish in the Mabul

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Nov 28 11:29:19 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 10:40pm GMT, Chana Luntz wrote:
: RMB writes:
:> But I think you're arguing in the wrong direction to make your own
:> point.

:> Noach was told that everything under shamayim would be destroyed. That
:> includes all of earth no matter which homonym is intended by "shamayim"
:> here. Your ability to raise problems is tangential, unless you can prove
:> that "shamayim" has yet another meaning that is yet smaller.

: The position I have been consistently arguing is that kol haaretz and kol
: hashamayim are terms that are most logically to be understood in the way
: that Noach and the other members of the dor hamabul would have understood
: them (and did understand them, or refused to believe them). That excludes
: anything completely out of their ken, like planets and galaxies from either
: definition, but also Australia and England and other places that to them did
: not exist. If you asked the dor hamabul for a definition of kol haaretz, you
: would not get any references to Australia...

I don't know why non-quotes in the Torah would be specific to the
protagonist in the story rather than dor hamidbar. Not that it makes
much difference here.

When HQBH promises not to flood the world again, does that rule out
flooding "just" all of the region inhabited in Noach's day? In a sense,
HQBH is speaking very specifically to subsequent generations as well.

: You (and others) in contrast argue that kol haaretz has to be understood to
: mean and include land that was unknown to the dor hamabul, like Australia,
: ie you are insisting on *our* definition and understanding of what is
: included in kol haaretz being read into the words in the Torah...

Leshitaseikh, "mitachos kol hashamayim" therefore couldn't speak of
Australia -- neither to include nor to exclude it specifically.

I was positing that the significance of "everywhere" were more important,
and Hashem said "everywhere" knowing they were unaware of just how vast
that was. Why would everywhere on the planet be important? I don't know;
but there is "kol haaretz" and "mitachas kol hashamayim" which sounds
to my ear as forcing the point.