[Avodah] sand and stars

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 13:23:26 PST 2011

<<B. Another possibility is that the universe was created with the light
from
 the stars already enroute, AS IF it had been emitted millions of years
ago.  That's another way of saying that the universe was created LOOKING
 like
an old universe.  Just a possibility.>>

This suggestion has been mentioned many times. From a logical viewpoint
there is absolutely no problem.
However, one can equally say that the universe was created 100 years ago
and just looks older or that the world is governed by some superior beings
on another planet that guide our thoughts etc. We really dont know that
there is a world outside of ourselves. Perhaps areivim and avodah are just
figments of our imagination

The bottom line is that since the universe looks in every conceivable way
like billions of years old then it is fairly irrelevant that it was
"really" created a little less than 6000 years ago but there is absolutely
no way to verify it. BTW science has the same problem for those that claim
that there are an infinite number of independent universes then independent
implies no way of verifying the claim and so it is pure speculation with no
practical implications.

--
Eli Turkel