[Avodah] reality

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 00:23:56 PST 2011

<<in general, whenever Chazal make a scientific statement, they are not
talking about the observable universe but rather the "real" universe. What
we - and the scientists - see is only a graphic user interface, so to
speak. The real world - the real sun, real moon, real earth - is not
observable by current scientific means. Chazal were talking about the real
world when they spoke. I'd recommend this Shiur    [  link  available
there]  for a full treatment.

Therefore, the Jewish sages were talking about the "real" universe, which
indeed behaves exactly as the Chachmei Yisroel described. The non-Jewish
scholars were arguing with limited information, i.e. with what their
scientists could see on the "outside," GUI world. We agree that on the
outside, it would appear the way they say. But the Chachmei Yisroel saw
deeper, they saw into the real world and there, their description is
correct.>>

Many of the conflicts between modern science and the science of chazal
affect
actual halacha. So this line of thought claims that halacha depends on the
"real"
world and not the observable world. I note that no rishon gives this answer
and
this is not the general approach of achronim. Tosafot says that nishtane
hateva.
Instead he could have said that "real cow" gives birth later than our
physical cows.

In addition since much of what is science in Chazal is identical to Greek
science of the day
it appears that the Greeks knew more about the "real world". They  both
knew that
the circulatory blood system is not "real" and there are connections
between the eye and the heart or
between the lungs and the heart that modern anatomy hasnt discovered yet.

--
Eli Turkel