[Avodah] Division of Mishnayos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Nov 17 08:41:38 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:47:00PM +0000, shalomyitz at comcast.net wrote:
: Who divided the mishna up into chapters & individual mishnayos? ...

I don't know about peraqim, but there is little consensus about individual
mishnayos. Different traditional editions of the mishnah have different
divisions, the Y-mi and Bavli group and divide their mishnayos differently
than all of them -- even different editions of the Y-mi differ.

I guess it is possible that these are machloqesin about how Rebbe
divided them. But it is SO widespread that I think it's more likely
there simply never was much standard.

Speaking of this topic, though... Pereq 3 of mes' RH looks like the
division is in a non-intuitive location.

Pereq 1 is logical enough.... it starts out speaking of the various rashei
shanah, and then segues into qiddush hachodesh and its eidus. Pereq 2
is about the signal system, limitations on the cheshbon, astronomy...
also, pretty consistent.

Here's where I wonder... 3:1 is still about beis din an qiddush hachodesh,
but the rest of pereq 3 is about shofar.

Doesn't it look like our 3:1 would have fit better as 2:10, at the end of
the prior pereq?

Micha Berger             The mind is a wonderful organ
micha at aishdas.org        for justifying decisions
http://www.aishdas.org   the heart already reached.
Fax: (270) 514-1507