[Avodah] Question about Avraham and Sarah at Avimelech's House

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Wed Nov 16 07:35:06 PST 2011

>A friend of mine had a question about the narrative in last week's
>*Parsha, Veyara*. In *Lech Lecha *Avram forms an army and fights the
>armies of the
>Four Kings to free his nephew Lot from captivity.
>
>However, in *Veyara* when Sarah is taken by Avimelech Avraham acts
>passively and lets Avimelech's soldiers take Sarah. If when his
>nephew was captured Avraham takes up arms, why does he not do the
>same when Sarah is taken?

Great question.  I don't have any specific sources, but lots of
questions about Avraham in the parsha end up getting answered along
the lines of: "Avraham knew that Sarah was on such a high madreiga
she'd be protected."  If one accepts that, then certainly it could
also apply here, where, certainly, Sarah was not on the same level of Lot.

FWIW,

-- Sholom