[Avodah] In this week's parsha in the parsha of the akaida AA says "venashuva alaichem."

hankman hankman at bell.net
Wed Nov 16 06:37:08 PST 2011

  R’nTK wrote:
  Or maybe "nashuva" was the royal we?

  CM notes:
  I have since found that the Belzer Rebbi learned the lashon rabim here exactly this way – as the Royal We.

RLK wrote:

How does this fit with Rashi?

CM notes further:

I would say on a conscious level AA meant the Royal We (not a sheker), but the choice of words was not a real nevuoh but a choice of words put into his mouth that did in fact point to the real future (nivo velo yoda ma shenivo as RZS brought from a medrash).

I have found in the Chumash Torah Mai’ira on this pasuk a string of explanations of this phrase. Here are some of them with some minor embellishment of my own. 1) AA used lashon rabim wrt to the ne’orim so they should not understand what was to take place (perhaps so they should not restrain him from murder what they might view as a man gone crazy), 2)AA used lashon rabim wrt to YA so he should not realize he was to be the korban (and necessary to carry out the Akaida,) 3) AA intended to return with atsmos YA hence the lashon rabim, 4) It was not a statement but beloshon temiah, “do you think we are only here to bow down and we will return right away? 5) It was a statement with a condition, if he will get a new command from Hashem (as in fact happened) then we will just bow and Both return to you, 6) Essentially the answer I wrote above, 7) Similar to 6) that he inadvertently used words that unknowingly pointed to the future.

Kol Tuv

Chaim Manaster