[Avodah] Chillul HaShem when NJ are the observers

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 15 13:48:50 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 04:17:40PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> I am arguing that whatever theory you have *must* accommodate what we
> *know* about kiddush and chilul haShem.  You cannot pull a piece of
> agadeta out and twist it so that it contradicts established halacha and
> minhag avoseinu.

I dispute both your assumption of what minhag avoseinu was, and your
notion that quoting an aggadita (and Rambam's sefer hamitzvos) is
"twisting" it.

Your concept of norms in generations past does not match stories in R'
Dov Katz's Tenu'as haMussar, nor those in the hagiographies of R' Yaakov
Kamenecki, R' Aharon Kotler, R' Avraham Pam, etc...