[Avodah] Chillul HaShem when NJ are the observers

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 15 12:47:33 PST 2011

Zev,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 02:58:23PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> It isn't.  Failing to return it is not a chilul haShem.  But for that
> very reason, returning it is a kiddush haShem.  The goy has no reason
> to expect you to do it; he wouldn't have done it himself, and if you
> were to keep it he would accept that as perfectly normal.  So if you go
> out of your way to give it to him he will feel grateful....

That's my entire point -- qiddush H' is in the gratitude that draws
someone to avodas Hashem. I took it for granted that if I proved
that qiddush Hashem isn't necessarily tied to following halakhhah,
rather that which makes someone, Jewish or not, say "berikh E-lahaha
deYdua'ei!" then it was only natural that chiullul Hashem would include
any act that would push someone away.

Are you arguing that qiddush Hashem is that which draws people to
avodas Hashem, but chilul Hashem is NOT that which ch"v pushes them
away?

Micha Berger             I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
micha at aishdas.org        but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
http://www.aishdas.org   tasks as if they were great and noble.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Helen Keller