[Avodah] Chillul HaShem when NJ are the observers

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 15 11:46:43 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 02:32:33PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> How does any of what you quote contradict this?  Everything that you
> quote only supports my point.  The examples are all things that are
> negative in themselves, and therefore cause right-minded people to
> have a negative impression.  People who get a negative impression
> from positive things, and a positive impression from negative things
> are obviously not the standard by which this is judge.

To quote RZS from Dec 2007
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol24/v24n110.shtml#04>, though:
> Charging interest and failing to return lost property are not negative
> actions, which come from or could engender bad middos.  They are the
> normal way we should expect to interact with strangers. ...
>           And if someone has been careless enough to lose something
> and you were lucky enough to find it, why on earth should you expend
> time and energy to track them down, and then give it to them?  What have
> they ever done for you, that you should do them such favours?

Four years ago you were arguing that hashavas aveidah doesn't apply
to a nachri's aveidah because it's /NOT/ negative in itself.

Micha Berger             The fittingness of your matzos [for the seder]
micha at aishdas.org        isn't complete with being careful in the laws
http://www.aishdas.org   of Passover. One must also be very careful in
Fax: (270) 514-1507      the laws of business.    - Rav Yisrael Salanter