[Avodah] Chillul HaShem when NJ are the observers

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 15 11:24:52 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:00:40PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 14/11/2011 9:57 AM, Meir Rabi wrote:
>> Is it not clear from Rashi that a Chilul HaShemis prompted by a
>> negative impressions be it by Jews and NJws?

> It depends what is causing this "negative" impression....

I'm not sure that's true. Recall RMR's source text:
>> Yoma 86a  Abaya referring to the Braysa says: We learn from VeAhavta es
>> HaShem that one should cause Gds Name to be beloved.

This isn't the classical source, Vayiqra 22:32, "Velo sechallelu as sheim
qodshi veniqdashti besokh BY..." Still, that would at most imply that
"chilul Hashem" isn't technically the correct label, but the idea being
labeled is valid -- Abayei gives it. And whether or not it is the same
concept or a different mandate revolves around how we explain the pasuq
"velo sechallelu..."

Rashi and Ramban both explain "velo sechalelu" in terms of issur.

OTOH, Sefer haMitzvos asei 9 defines "veniqdashti" in terms of "lefarseim
das emes". Admittedly his focus is on dying al qiddush Hashem. Still, the
notion that qiddush Hashem is grounded in getting Jews and non-Jews
wanting to worship the Borei appears to fit the Rambam.

So, the issur in leading non-Jews away from emunah in a Borei might well
not be chilul Hashem. But in any case, assur.

Our idea is also in Y-mi BM 2:5 (8a), and Devarim Rabba 3:5 "Mah". R'
Shimon ben Shetach got a donkey from his talmidim that they bought from
a nachri. He found under the saddle some kind of gem. Lehalakhah, RSBS
could have kept it, since the terms of the sale were "this donkey and
everything on it is ours", and the students were excited at the idea
that their rebbe was now freed from worrying about money. However, RSBS
returned the gem, and the nachri proclaimed, "Berikh E-lahhon diYhuda'ei,
Maagar kol hadin alma!" A similar story is told about Aba Ushia the
launderer, who returned jewelry the queen lost in her clothes, telling
her that the Torah requires hashavas aveidah, and the queen proclaims,
"Berikh E-lahhon diYhuda'ei!"

Yuma has Rav giving an example of chilul Hashem as buying meat and not
paying right away (not the relevent part), iqa de'amrei it is anything
that "chaveirav misbayashim machmas shemu'aso".

Micha Berger             A person lives with himself for seventy years,
micha at aishdas.org        and after it is all over, he still does not
http://www.aishdas.org   know himself.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter