[Avodah] What was AA's Hetter to endanger his people

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Nov 9 06:37:05 PST 2011

On 9/11/2011 5:07 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 10:29:58PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
>> >  "To increase his [the king's] greatness and fame".
> Not "and wealth".
>
> The king's greatness and fame scares off attackers (and scufflaws, but
> none of the rishonim I mentioned discuss that). That's the preemptive
> attack where the threat is not immediate.

That's your speculation; it's not in the text.

> You're assuming an association that isn't explicitly made, and in doing
> so arguing with halakhah pesuqah.

What halacha pesuqah?  What have you quoted to support your claim that
he can't make war merely to get booty?  The gemara in Brachos seems
pretty clear that he can.

In any case, the original question doesn't begin.  There can be no
question that it is permitted to go to war to rescue one person, even
if it's certain that more than one person will be killed in the effort.

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will