[Avodah] What was AA's Hetter to endanger his people

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Nov 6 09:23:17 PST 2011

On 6/11/2011 11:42 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 08:38:59AM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
>> >  On the contrary, the halacha explicitly permits "milchemet reshut".
>> >  And the gemara says that a kingdom that wipes out a sixth of the world's
>> >  population in a war is within its rights.

> A milchemes reshus isn't just for finances, though.

Sure it is.  "Milchemes horeshus is a war that he wages with other
nations to expand Israel's border and to increase his greatness and
fame."  A war fought when there's an actual invasion from an enemy is
milchemes mitzvah.

> In David haMelekh's case, they weren't just stealing the straw,
> they were thereby threatening the rule of law in a boarder city and
> thus nibbling at the edges of his sovereignty.

What straw are you talking about?  "Lechu pishtu yedchem bigdud"; it's
*we* who want to steal *their* "straw", not the other way around!  And
we have the right to do so, even though soldiers will inevitably be
lost.

> The other example we have from David haMelekh is his conquering Suria.
>In neither case was it simply about money.

Then what was it about?

> There is a machloqes tannaim as to whether a preemptive war is a
> milkhemes mitzvah, or a milkhemes reshus that happens to be compelling
> for other reasons. Difference only being whether a chasan and kallah
>  are drafted.

Where is this machlokes?  In any event the halacha is paskened, and
milchemes reshus has nothing to do with preempting an enemy attack.

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will