[Avodah] The daf yomi in Chulin 128a Tanaim hold the the kishus planted in an otsits sh???aino nakuf is yonaik min ha'aretz - is their botany different than ours?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Nov 4 03:08:25 PDT 2011

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 12:24:43AM -0400, hankman wrote:
: Can anyone explain just what the plant is obtaining from the aretz that
: would cause the plant to still be considered mechubor la???aretz? The co2,
: o2 and water vapor are all obtained directly (just) from the atmosphere
: and not from aretz via the atmosphere. What am I missing here?

Who said "yoneiq min haaretz" is a scientific statement altogether?

If the point of halakhah is to hone our souls (deveiqus or sheleimus),
then what is relevent to it is not the scientific explanation of events,
but the psychological one. How is the object or event perceived, or
perceivable (if the person could have seen it, but didn't). Not how it is.

Think of the words metzi'us or mamashus -- the world is as people
experience it first-hand, not as how we can objectively deduce it is
through tools and further reason.

Thus, a pot with a hole in it isn't sufficiently separated from the
ground *to be thought of* as distinct.

Besides, where does the vapor come from? At the height of an herb or
vegetable, isn't most of it evaporating off the ground right below
the branch?

:-)BBii!