[Avodah] Status of Non-Jew born to Jewish Father

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Nov 3 15:19:49 PDT 2011

From: Zev Sero <zev at sero.name>
> Based on the mesorah in  which I was raised, I would strongly disagree
with your friend's approach.   Converting a baby when the mother is not Jewish
and will not be raising the baby  in a Jewish, Torah home is just plain
wrong.[--TK]

The child is not being  converted now.  Only the milah is being done,
so that if the child  eventually decides to complete his conversion (or
if the family decides to  return to yiddishkeit) he won't have to have
that done as an adult.

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name

The original post mentioned two eidim and a bris done leshem gerus.

IF the bris is taking place privately, with only the parents and the eidim
in attendance, with the intention of making a later gerus easier (should
one  eventually take place) then that would be acceptable.  But if the bris is
 being done as a Jewish ceremony with friends and relatives in  attendance,
and the gerus part hush-hush, then it is quite wrong and very  misleading
to the immediate circle of friends and family and very dangerous to  Klal
Yisrael.

--Toby Katz