[Avodah] mabul

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Nov 3 15:29:22 PDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 05:30:05PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> And what of the mishneh in AZ?   Where did the orb come from?

Sun or moon.

Or even the earth -- as seen and worshipped by those who made it into
an AZ. That doesn't show Rebbe agreed it really was round. (And we have
a quote from him that indicates he thought it wasn't.)

The first indication we have of any of chazal agreeing is in the Y-mi
on that mishnah (vilna: 18b), R' Yonah (4th gen, early 4th cent) talks
about Alexander flying high enough to see that the earth was a ball.
But that's 2 centuries after Rebbe.