[Avodah] To Stand or Not to Stand for a Chosson and Kallah

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Nov 3 09:30:23 PDT 2011

On 3/11/2011 9:52 AM, Prof. Levine wrote:
> At 09:34 AM 11/3/2011, M Cohen wrote:
>> RYL asked .. If it is indeed the case that we stand when people are going
>> to do a
>> mitzvah, then why don't we stand when the Baal Kriah gets up to
>> lein, when the Baal Shachris goes to the Amud to daven, etc. ?
>>
>> indeed, r Yaakov kamanetsky writes that the minhag to stand for az yashir
>> in pesukei d'zimra is to honor those going to give tzedah at that that time.

I think you mean Vayevarech David.

> Most people stand well before Az Yashir at v'yevorech Dovid. However, this standing is optional.

As I pointed out above, the time when the gabai tzedaka does his rounds
is at Vayevarech David, and thus we stand for him.  I have never heard
that this standing is optional.  Remaining standing for Az Yashir is
optional, because there's no real reason to remain standing except to
show chibah for that portion (and since we're going to stand again for
Yishtabach).

>> As for your question, what mitva/chiuv is Baal Shachris davening, Baal Kriah
>> leining, etc ?
>
> Are you saying that there is no mitzva to read the Torah on Mondays,
> Thursdays and on Shabbos?

No, there isn't.  It's an obligation of the tzibbur, not of any yachid,
and certainly not of the baal korei.

>  Is there no mitzva to daven with a minyan and hence the person leading
> the davening is not doing a mitzvah?

No more than any other member of the minyan.

> What about someone who puts on tefillin standing? Is he not doing a
> mitzvah, yet people do not stand for someone putting on tefillin.

He's not walking past, is he?

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will