[Avodah] To Stand or Not to Stand for a Chosson and Kallah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Nov 3 03:56:53 PDT 2011

Since we're revisiting the subject, please see
<http://imhm.blogspot.com/2011/09/gender-awareness-on-shabbat.html>,
R' Dr Ezra Schwat's researched answer on the girsa, triggered by our
last round.

I had a couple of more thoughts about RZS's proposal that perhaps it
was a nigleh vs nistar issue.

1- The gemara itself refers to Shabbos as a woman: "Bo'i kalah, bo'i
kalah". So if this Andalusian girsa is taken as more correct, the issue
RZS proposes as a gap between nigleh and nistar is not the gender of a
person as a metaphor for Shabbos in general, but only of the Shabbos as
monarch metaphor in particular.

2- Personally, I find it more likely the majority of manuscripts is
correct. But even if not the rishonim who were mequbalim did not think
it was a nigleh vs nistar issue, because they favored the girsa in the
gemara of "hamalkah". If RZS's suggestion were correct, they would
have left the Andalusian manuscript as is.

Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."
http://www.aishdas.org         - Rav Yosef Yozel Horwitz, Alter of Novarodok
Fax: (270) 514-1507