[Avodah] Status of Non-Jew born to Jewish Father

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Nov 2 15:40:02 PDT 2011

From: Daniel Bukingolts _bukin86 at gmail.com_ (mailto:bukin86 at gmail.com)

>>My  father and non Jewish step mom just had a baby girl on Friday. This is
his  second non Jewish child from two different women. What is the status
of
non-Jewish children born with Jewish fathers? Is there a different  or
easier geirus for them if they decide to convert? Are they given a  choice
at a certain age to simply be Jewish? Should we actively try to sway  them
towards Judaism? My father had a bris for my non Jewish half  brother
(details unknown, but I believe done by chabad rabbi). Would he  require
hatafas dam if he decides to be Jewish?<<

Daniel  Bukingolts

The child of a non-Jewish mother and a Jewish father is not  Jewish.  He is
not half-Jewish.  He does not get to decide for himself  whether or not he
is Jewish.

He is different from any other non-Jew only in this respect:  if he
decides that he wants to convert to Judaism, he is not initially discouraged but
is immediately encouraged and welcomed to join the Jewish people.

I find it hard to believe that a Chabad rabbi performed a bris on a
non-Jewish baby.  Probably he merely performed a circumcision. (Were you  paying
close attention to any brachos or prayers that were said?)  The  circumcision
will certainly make it easier later on if that baby, when grown up,
decides to convert.

He will, at that point, need a hatafas dam bris, as well as mikva and a
bais din.

--Toby  Katz