[Avodah] Is there any issur here al pi halacha?

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Nov 2 02:31:39 PDT 2011

How wonderful it would be if the rich person would offer to pay for the poor man's transplant, and it would certainly be a great mitzvah of tzedaka (and, I suppose, pikuach nefesh).

But I don't think the rich person is obligated to do this. He certainly doesn't have to do it for every single patient who is poorer than him.

Someone asked earlier about the priority categories in horiyot, my answer is lmaaseh they are almost universally ignored and I haven't found a clear halachic reason why (e.g. r'sza says it would be very difficult today).  Now add your issue-I have a talmid chacham/kohain/man and a wealthy/am haaretz/woman/convert and only one available kidney.  Must the community buy it for the former, can the latter outbid?
KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.