[Avodah] Is there any issur here al pi halacha? - New York man pleads guilty to selling Israeli human organs

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Nov 2 02:48:48 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 09:12:23PM -0400, Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
: Yes. And this is different from every other illness, exactly how? Someone
: who can afford the Mayo Clinic will get better care than someone who comes
: to the emergency room at 3 AM. That's the way the world is. And every
: attempt to change that has failed.

The rich person who has money is like the one person in the desert who
has the canteen. As R' Aqiva says, "vechei achikha imakh" -- if it isn't
going to be "imakh", there is no obligation of "vechei".

This is why I focused the question not on the buyer, but on the broker.
The broker's position is more like a health care provider or the public
kupah, who have halakhos of triage.

Micha Berger             Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of
micha at aishdas.org        greater vanity in others; it makes us vain,
http://www.aishdas.org   in fact, of our modesty.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              -Louis Kronenberger, writer (1904-1980)