[Avodah] Is there any issur here al pi halacha? - New York man pleads guilty to selling Israeli human organs

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 1 13:24:07 PDT 2011

So AISI, there are two active questions:

1- Assuming there is no other coersion, is it mutar you pay people to
sell their organs to what is now the general donor pool? If mutar, is
it a mitzvah?

2- What about the halakhos of triage? This is a problem in general... The
rules in the last mishnah in Horios would be a hard sell. Does anyone
know what is done in Laniado or Shaarei Tzedeq? Do we ignore Horios
because now we can better assess how to maximize the expected number of
lives saved? Do we invoke mishum eivah and the saving of future lives?

But whichever rules of triage are nog'im lemaaseh, may one buy an organ
in order to facilitate a violation of the rules of triage?

If anyone has an answer to either organ selling question, or to
my halachic quesrtion about triage -- both in general and how it is
pasqened in hospitals that try to comply to the din -- I would greatly
appreciate it.

Micha Berger             Never must we think that the Jewish element
micha at aishdas.org        in us could exist without the human element
http://www.aishdas.org   or vice versa.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch