[Avodah] To Stand or Not to Stand for a Chosson and Kallah

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 10:08:13 PDT 2011

--- On Tue, 11/1/11, Saul Guberman <saulguberman at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 11:05, Dov Weinstock
<dov.weinstock at nycadvantage.com> wrote:
> This standing for the C&K seems to be a recent innovation. It seems likely
> that it was copied from church weddings. Why is it not forbidden by
> chareidim as chukos hagoyim?

It was never an issue until seats were put out for the ceremony.  Until
recently the ceremony was always outside and all the people stood through
the entire ceremony.  This is still done at many weddings.  Putting out
seats & having the ceremony inside seems to be the chukas hagoyim issue,
not standing for C&K.

Standing up for the bride is actaully the custom in non Jewish weddings. The audience always stands for the bride as she walks down the aisle.

You know what they say... Azoi vei's christel zich - yiddel't zich.

I also find it ironic that most people in the audience do not stand up for any of the Z'kenim that walk down the aisle (I do). But when the Chasan and Kalla walk down the aisle almost everyone who does. I do not recall that ever being the case in the past. I don't know when this new minhag caught on but now it seems like the universal practice.

I believe it is based on the idea that a Chasan is Domeh L'Melech. And of course one would rise out of respct for a king or his queen (i.e. the Kallah). But being 'Domeh L'Melech' does not make you a Melech with all the rights and privileiges. Personally I think it is a minhag Shtus. But I do it anyway since I do not wnat to be Poresh Min HaTzibur.

HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/