[Avodah] purpose of creation?? varous opinions??

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Oct 30 16:52:58 PDT 2011

R' Harvey Benton quoted from another forum:

> The big difference between Torah and [...] is that she believes
> we are literally the hands of god, amplifying the universe,
> while Torah tells us that God does not need any part of His
> creation to do His work.

I really don't understand what is meant by "we are literally the hands of god", by "amplifying the universe", or by "His work". But I *do* know these things:

1) God does not need us for anything.

2) God has told us to do certain things. (Some might say that He "wants" us to do those things, and others might say that "want" is an inaccurate anthropomorphism.)

3) Included among the things He has told us to do, are some which can be construed as completing an unfinished work. One notable example was cited by Rabbi Akiva. Following is from Yeshivat Har Etzion, at vbm-torah.org/archive/sichot/vayikra/27-59tazria.doc

> Once the evil [Roman governor] Turnus Rufus asked Rabbi Akiva,
> 'Whose deeds are greater - God's or man's?'
>
> He replied, 'Man's deeds are greater.'
>
> Turnus Rufus asked him, 'Is man then capable of creating heaven
> and earth, or anything like them?'
>
> Rabbi Akiva replied, 'I was not referring to the sphere beyond
> man's ability, over which he has no control. I refer to those
> creations of which man is capable.'
>
> He then asked, 'Why do you circumcise yourselves?'
>
> Rabbi Akiva replied, 'I knew that that was the point of your
> question, and therefore I answered in the first place that man's
> deeds are greater than God's.' Rabbi Akiva brought him grains of
> wheat and some bread, and said: 'These grains of wheat are God's
> handiwork, and the bread is the handiwork of man. Is the latter
> not greater than the former?'

Akiva Miller