[Avodah] Evaporation

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Oct 28 06:46:13 PDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 09:17:54AM +0200, Liron Kopinsky wrote:
: Rashi translates this as "a cloud arose from the earth and watered the face
: of the land."
: Does anyone know at what point humanity knew about evaporation causing
: clouds?

Rashi refers to clouds (he'elah hatehim vehishiqah ananim), but doesn't the
gemara write about tal as though it comes up from the ground? I am not
sure Rashi's shitah is compelling, perhaps someone took this as a reference
to such dew.

OTOH, look at Iyov 36:27-29, which describes the whole cycle explicitly.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
micha at aishdas.org        "I am thought about, therefore I am -
http://www.aishdas.org   my existence depends upon the thought of a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch