[Avodah] Shevet HaLevi: Is There An Issur For Women To Stare At Men?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Oct 26 15:25:36 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 04:13:19PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 26/10/2011 6:17 AM, Prof. Levine wrote:
>> Rav Vosner (Shevet HaLevi 5:197:2) says that the proof of the Tshuras
>> Shai is clear and certainly he is correct that it is assur for a woman
>> to stare at a man. This is a Lav of "Lo Sasuru... Acharei Eineichem"
>> and applies to both genders.

> Isn't the point of the issur as it applies to men that "shelo yeharher
> adam bayom, kedei..."?  If so, how can that apply to women?

As I said earlier, WRT SA EH siman 23... Perhaps the whole point of
legislating a derabbanan was to stop hirhurim that don't actually
get as far as causing SZL. If the only hirhurim we wanted to stop had
a reasonable chance of causing an issur deOraisa, they would be
assur misevara alone -- you can't intentionally risk breaking the
law. (Which now also ties us to the "kosher switch" thread...)

Micha Berger             Nearly all men can stand adversity,
micha at aishdas.org        but if you want to test a man's character,
http://www.aishdas.org   give him power.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      -Abraham Lincoln