[Avodah] eating fish out

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 09:11:52 PDT 2011

<<On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:25:53AM +0200, Eli Turkel wrote:
: Halachically sveral problems occur to me
: 1. bishul akum

As I understand the method being discussed, the diner personally puts
the double-wrapped fish on the grill, or otherwise participates in the
cooking, e.g. by squeezing a lemon on to the fish before it's wrapped.
Also, at least sushi-grade fish is now ubiquitously eaten raw, and thus
bishul akum doesn't apply.

: 3. identifying the fish as kosher

Not an issue for salmon, which is easily recognised.  Other species
require a skin tag.

On 26/10/2011 5:36 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
> 4. Nosein ta'am -- you can't say stam keilim einum ben yoman when a
> restaurant kitchen routinely uses the same keilim repeatedly throughout
> the day.
Not an issue.  That's the whole point of the double-wrapping.>>

1. In most cases the Salmon is double wrapped by the Chef as the diner is
not allowed in the kitchen

Does the fact that  Salmon Shushi is eaten raw eliminate bishul akum for
regular non-shushi salmon?

3. I wonder how many of us could distinguish a cut piece of Salmon from
another treif fish?
The fact that some restaurants cheat indicates that many customers cant tell
the difference

4. Nosein Taam - I aslo assumed that was the purpose of the double wrap

Thanks

--
Eli Turkel