[Avodah] The sukkah on Shemini Atzeret controversy

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Oct 25 13:29:54 PDT 2011

R' Micha Berger wrote:

> The question is why it's not put to rest by the gemara's
> conclusion: "Vehilkhisa: yesuvei yasvinan, berukhi lo
> mevarkhinan".

I learned the answer to this on these pages two years ago, at
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol26/v26n204.shtml#05, where R' Harry Weiss provides a link to a shiur in which
> Rabbi Shechter brings down a Rav Kolonimus from the 12th
> century saying that this was added by the Gaonim.

In other words, it can be argued that this was NOT "the gemara's conclusion".

Interestingly, while this lesson didn't soak into my little brain until two years ago, it was already discussed at length nine years earlier. See posts by R' Moshe Feldman, R' Gil Student, and R' Yitzi Oratz (and others, probably) in Avodah vol 6, numbers 21, 24, and thereabouts.

Akiva Miller