[Avodah] More on Married Women Should Not Wear Wigs

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 25 02:31:59 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 09:07:13PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 24/10/2011 6:02 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
>> Related might be the machloqes of whether a mechitzah that is 10 tefachim
>> high, and thus qualifies as a mechitzah, but is not high enough to block
>> the view, is kosher. IIRC, RMF requires high enough to block view,
>> not the normal halachic height for a mechitzah.
>
> No, he explicitly does not require it to block the view, but merely to
> prevent mixing; thus he holds that it only needs to be shoulder height.

I thought shoulder height /was/ to block the view, but in any case...

RMF is saying that you can't fulfil mechitzah with a barrier that doesn't
accomplish the point. RYBS is saying mechitzah is a din with specific
parameters, and in a pinch can be fulfilled with a minimal separation.

Seems pretty parallel to our two sides on the human hair sheitl issue.

Micha Berger             A person lives with himself for seventy years,
micha at aishdas.org        and after it is all over, he still does not
http://www.aishdas.org   know himself.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter