[Avodah] More on Married Women Should Not Wear Wigs

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Oct 24 08:20:03 PDT 2011

At 10:54 AM 10/24/2011, M Cohen wrote:
>RYL writes ..I can only wonder what Rav Feinstein, zt"l, would say about
>permitting a married woman to wear a human hair wig that is virtually
>impossible to tell is a wig and that is more beautiful and attractive than
>the woman's natural hair.
>
>I can't help but think that the current minhag haposkim to be lenient
>(against that which appears s/ be asur because of maaris ayin, etc),
>at least partially stems from the fact that we want to encourage/make it
>easier for them in
>this difficult and uncomfortable mitzvah.

My wife says that wearing a wig is easier than having to "maintain"
one's own hair.  One simply takes a wig that is ready to wear and
puts it on and that is that.  Hair requires dying (after a certain
age), combing, styling, etc.  Of course, I probably should not say
anything about this and let the ladies comment.

Is it indeed more difficult to wear a wig?  Furthermore, a proper
fitted wig is not, according to my wife, uncomfortable.

YL