[Avodah] more on schach

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Mon Oct 17 05:59:53 PDT 2011

R' Saul Newman quoted from the "Guide to Star-K Certified Schach":

> According to the opinion of Rashi (as brought in Shaar Hatziyun
> 629:20) spun or woven threads (e.g. string, yarn) are mekabel
> tumah. Rav Moshe Feinstein states (Igros Moshe, O.C. 1:177) based
> on a Mishna, if something which is mekabel tumah is used to hold
> wooden slats together, the slats themselves are also mekabel
> tumah and are no longer kosher for schach use. Therefore, Rav
> Moshe Feinstein explains that wooden venetian blinds held
> together with cloth tape or string are not kosher for schach.
> It follows that according to Rashi bamboo slats held together by
> multi-filament cord (i.e. it is braided or twisted) are also not
> kosher for schach (even if they are not made to sit or walk on).
>
> However, monofilament (commonly used for fishing line) is not
> woven or spun material. Therefore, it is not mekabel tumah and
> may be used to hold bamboo slats together. All Star-K certified
> bamboo schach is held together with monofilament cord.

At first, I was very confused by the references to "monofilament" and "multi-filament". I had thought that the advantage of fishing line is that it is made of nylon, and plastic is not mekabel tumah. Thus, since the slats are being held together by a plastic string - which is not mekabel tumah - the mat is okay.

If one had a multi-filament cord made of nylon threads, would that be mekabel tumah? I'm still confused by the references to filaments, and I suspect that I'm missing some very basic concepts. Can someone please fill me in?

Akiva Miller