[Avodah] Brisker Chumeros and Shammuti Chumeros

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 11 12:04:45 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 10:20:23AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 6/10/2011 9:55 AM, Yonatan Kaganoff wrote:
>> I think that one should distinguish the practice of blowing the shofar
>> after davening is over and other chumrot. Most agree that this is beyond
>> even a chumra and is more like a hanhaga tovah, which shows our love of
>> the mitzvah of Shofar.

> I thought blowing the shofar after davening was to confuse the Satan;
> just when he thought it was safe to come back, here they are blowing again!

To ask the question often asked of the skipped day of shofar blowing: Is
the satan that dim that he'd not only fall for it once, but even annually?

The satan is the YhR (and mal'akh hamaves). Confusing the satan requires
confounding something internal to the person the satan would otherwise
sway.

PERHAPS, it's that the yeitzer hara makes great use of routine to
lull my hislahavus and to keep me in a rut rather than pulling out and
doing teshuvah. Therefore, anything that breaks routine is "le'arbev
es hasatan".

Micha Berger             The Maharal of Prague created a golem, and
micha at aishdas.org        this was a great wonder. But it is much more
http://www.aishdas.org   wonderful to transform a corporeal person into a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "mensch"!     -Rav Yisrael Salanter