[Avodah] Why we eat on erev YK?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 11 09:36:01 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 06:09:06PM +0200, Liron Kopinsky wrote:
:>: But how does eating on the 9th serve "as if we fasted"?
:> I think it should be considered an opportunity to practice eating in
:> order to live a life of avodas Hashem, rather than living to eat.
: But don't you get that every week with the shabbat seudot or with every
: other chiyuv achila?

Why just when there is a chiyuv?

In any case, you could ask why a YK altogether -- you could do teshuvah at
any time as well. Lemaaseh, the 9th of Tishrei was (to my mind) set aside
for a day to eat biqdushah. It's a much harder job than YK's perishus.