[Avodah] [Areivim] second day of yom tov

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 11 09:13:11 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 03:28:16PM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
>> "Hachaziku minhag avoseichem biydeichem" is the what, not the why.  The
>> letter told the Bavlim to keep doing what they had already been doing,
>> but the reason it gave was that perhaps due to future persecution they
>> would make a mistake in the cheshbon.

> Here's my problem with this.  There are a number of ways in which Yom
> Tov Sheni is treated, l'halakha, as Safek Yom Tov.  But if we're doing
> it as minhag avoteinu, and we *haven't* made a mistake due to
> persecution, then it isn't a safek at all, is it?

It's a din derabbanan to preserve a minhag caused by the frequency of a
safeiq. Therefore, even when it's not a safeiq, /some/ of the dinim are
designed to require actions like those caused by the commemorated safeiq.

> And in truth, we don't really hold that it's Safek Yom Tov, otherwise,
> the first day would be Safek Yom Tov as well....

OTOH, they couldn't legislate a weakening of the original deOraisa,
because it's a taqanah, not a gezeira, nor is it besheiv ve'al ta'aseh.

> My second problem is the idea of "minha avoteinu b'yadeinu" trumping
> bracha l'lo tzorech and the like...

Why? We make berakhos on dinim derabbanan, and Ashk make berakhos on
minhagim.

This is only a problem in your hypothetical situation that we were still
in actual safeiq, and I thought you agreed it couldn't be reality.

Micha Berger             "Someday I will do it." - is self-deceptive.
micha at aishdas.org        "I want to do it." - is weak.
http://www.aishdas.org   "I am doing it." - that is the right way.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk