[Avodah] Why we eat on erev YK?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 11 08:59:23 PDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 11:03:53PM +0200, Liron Kopinsky wrote:
: But how does eating on the 9th serve "as if we fasted"?
: Or maybe more to the point, what are we supposed to be thinking about as we
: eat?

I think it should be considered an opportunity to practice eating in
order to live a life of avodas Hashem, rather than living to eat.

Through such practice, we would hopefully get to the point where we
can similarly sanctify the satisfaction of all our physical needs. Not
just sleeping, but sleeping in order to have the energy to do His
Will. Etc...

Micha Berger             In the days of our sages, man didn't sin unless
micha at aishdas.org        he was overcome with a spirit of foolishness.
http://www.aishdas.org   Today, we don't do a mitzvah unless we receive
Fax: (270) 514-1507      a spirit of purity.      - Rav Yisrael Salanter