[Avodah] kosher switch

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Oct 10 19:27:51 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 12:01:23PM +0100, Chana Luntz wrote:
:> At some point, the probability gets to be a small enough miut that it's
:> ignorable.

: Why?  If at any given point, you still have only a 50% chance of getting a
: head?

If brushing one's hair is pesiq reishei for pulling hairs out, it's
not because we consider the odds of uprooting each hair as a separate
risk.

AIUI, the odds add up.

: > IOW, I don't think being goreim something that rov of the
: > time violates an issur is any more mutar than geramah of a vadai.
:
: Well clearly there is such a concept - that is precisely the din of psik
: resha....

Only if pesiq reishei requires specifically a vadai, and not a ruba
deruba. Which is a rephrase of my earlier statement. How do you know that?

IOW, you're assuming that Mike the Headless Chicken disproves the idea
that actually cutting off a chicken's hard would be a pesiq reishei!

: The reality is that if this is your only option, you put up with things not
: working on shabbas as smoothly as they do on weekdays...

But it must work with enough reliability for my "sure enough" standard
to be met.

Micha Berger             Our greatest fear is not that we're inadequate,
micha at aishdas.org        Our greatest fear is that we're powerful
http://www.aishdas.org   beyond measure
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Anonymous