[Avodah] : Re: Brisker Chumeros and Shammuti Chumeros

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Oct 10 11:12:51 PDT 2011

On 9/10/2011 5:18 PM, Chana Luntz wrote:
> Problem I am having with all of this is the explicit Rema in Orech Chaim
> siman 596 si'if 1 "there are places which have the custom to return and to
> blow thirty blasts ... and after one has been yotze with this *shuv ain
> l'tokeia od bechinam* [but a katan even if he has reached chinuch it is
> permitted to tell him to blow, and it is permitted for him all the day]."
> And as you can see from the Magen Avraham, the statement shuv ain l'tokeia
> od bechinam is because of a shvus d'rabbanan.  And while yes, the Taz does
> appear to allow blowing after one is definitely yotzei (he does not
> understand the shvus as applying on a regular yom tov that is not shabbas)-
> so they have on whom to rely, it seems really very odd to me that people
> should be doing things "beyond even a chumra" or to be "yozeh all the
> rejected shitos" when by doing so one would seem to be over on a d'rabbanan
> according to what seems to be if anything the majority opinion.  Ie if there
> is a real genuine safek, then OK, that is not *bechinam*  (although by
> allowing the extra 30 but no more, the Rema seems to be ruling this out),
> but if one acknowledges that there is no real genuine safek, then these
> blowings would seem by definition to be perilously close to tokeia bechinam,
> meaning one is being makil in a d'rabbanan.  What am I missing here?

IMHO the "thirty extra kolot" doesn't mean davka thirty, but whatever
the minhag is.  Only after the local minhag has been fulfilled, and
there are no more tekiot shel mitzvah, and now someone wants to blow
just stam because he likes blowing, or because it's a seasonal sound,
shelo leshem mitzvah klal, that is not allowed.

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will