[Avodah] Beis Shammai vs Beis Hillel, general approaches

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Oct 10 09:44:33 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 05:01:12PM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
> What kabbalah is this?  Do you have a source for it?

I think I already mentioned the Maharal. To be more specific, his
comment is made on Avos 1:12.

It comes up also in Sefer haDoros vol II, entry "Shammai".

Mikhtav meiEliyahu III pg 353.

It's also in the Noam Elimelekh, but I don't have an exact citation.

All relate it to the tradition from the Ari za"l that le'asid lavo we
will hold like Beis Shammai and Rashbi" (recorded in Vayaqhel Moshe 42b).
That le'asid lavo, we will be able to live up to the rigors of din,
and therefore we will become Shammutim. Note that this does not require
a fundamental change in halachic process, if we assume that a future
Sanhadrin will be sufficiently gadol bechokhmah uveminyan to overturn
the votes made at the end of bayis sheini in which BH held the majority.

But what I don't understand is how one can simultaneously also hold
like the Rashbi, a talmid of R' Aqiva, whose rabbeim were R' Eliezer
ben Hurkenus and R' Yehoshua ben Chanania, who learned under R' Yochanan
ben Zakkai who learned under Hillel.

GCT!

Micha Berger             For a mitzvah is a lamp,
micha at aishdas.org        And the Torah, its light.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - based on Mishlei 6:2
Fax: (270) 514-1507