[Avodah] tefillin on second day yomtov

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 07:01:37 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Prof. Levine <llevine at stevens.edu> wrote:
>> My feeling is that Israeli poskim (even including the Eda Hacharedit) tend
>> to be more mekil about considering a tourist as an Israeli for second day
>> yomtov if there is some evidence that links them to EY.
>> OTOH American poskim tend to be more machmir...

> I was told that the Brisker Rov, Reb Velvel, held two days Yom Tov while
> living in Jerusalem because of sofek!  Can anyone verify this? YL

Rumor has it that both the Brisker Ran and CI kept 2 days le-chumra.
However, as far as I know the reason was not safek but rather the Rambam
that paskens that 1 day only holds for those communities that the messengers
actually reached. Since Bnei Brak and Meah Shearim did not exist in the days
of the Temple they held 2 days.

Nevertheless, it was kept quiet as it was their personal chumra and not
meant for the public

--
Eli Turkel