[Avodah] fasting/tfila/tshuva

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Oct 10 07:38:49 PDT 2011

From: Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org
"

>> it is clear that the  chiyuv of YK is such that given the ability to
either
pray or fast [ ie one  will eg be reduced to spending the fast laying in
bed], one must fast. while  clearly this is the chiyuv hayom,  what has the
individual
accomplished  when he has spent  the time conceivably incoherent, neither
confessing  his sins , nor  inspired to tshuva. is somehow the koach of
this inui  nefesh a replacement for tshuva? <<

Fasting on YK is a de'oraysah while the tefillos are derabbanan (mainly to
replace the Avodah of YK which we no longer have).  Carrying out Hashem's
will can only help.

But in any case, unless a person is completely comatose, he is going to
have moments of consciousness during which he can daven, even in bed, even if
only in his own words, and tefilla from the heart is always acceptable.  If
 he confesses his sins even in his own words, he has certainly done
something  worthwhile.

You speak of a person who can only fast if he stays in bed but there is
another category of person who may be fasting but who will not be able to go
to  shul or to daven at all on YK and that is:  the mother of very young
children, who may herself also be pregnant or nursing an infant in addition  to
taking care of several little ones.  If she only manages to daven one
sentence on YK -- something like, "Hashem please forgive all my wrongdoings and
please help me get through this day!"  -- she has fulfilled her davening
obligations (according to many poskim if not all).  This is actually a
fairly common scenario, occurring some time in the life of the majority of  women.

These thoughts are prompted by the fact that I saw a pregnant young woman
on erev Yom Kippur outside her house with her four adorable [ba'h] little
children under the age of six who were playing on the lawn.  And I remember
thinking that she was going to have a hard YK but also thinking that I envy
her  and miss those sweet baby days when my children were not yet looking
for  shidduchim!

May Hashem increase the number of Jewish children in the world and may He
grant strength to their mothers to take care of them on Yom Kippur and every
 day.

--Toby  Katz