[Avodah] Yurt for a Sukkah

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Oct 9 22:54:09 PDT 2011

R"n Shoshana L. Boublil asked:

> A friend is going to be taking a course during Sukkot. The dwellings
> there are a dome and a yurt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt).
>
> They asked if they could use the yurt for a Sukkah, and if not -
> what would they have to do to make it kosher?

I was hoping that the answer might be as simple as "all they need to do is lift the roof, and then - having in mind that it is to be a sukkah - put it back in position".

Alas, I looked at the Wiki page you cited, which seems to say that a yurt - by definition - has a roof made of felt. Further, it says that the felt roof of traditional yurts is made of sheep's wool. There are many halachos for sechach, and the most basic of them is that it must be made of vegetation.

Maybe there is some way to make kosher sechach from cotton felt, but I don't even know if there is a way to make felt from cotton.

Akiva Miller