[Avodah] losing 'nishba' status

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Oct 6 13:21:10 PDT 2011

On 6/10/2011 3:36 PM, Lisa Liel wrote:
> My second thought was that the idea that a person could be considered a tinok she'nishba in some areas and not in others was a fascinating chiddush, and that whether the sources support it or not, it makes a good deal of logical sense.

As RMB pointed out, TSN is not a status, it's an *explanation* for why
a person is shogeg.  So it makes sense that it could apply on a mitzvah-
by-mitzvah basis.  E.g. the classic TSN might know that he is Jewish,
and that Jews don't eat pork, but he might have no idea that chicken has
to be kosher.  Even if he's seen Empire chickens in the supermarket he
might not realise that this means Perdue chickens are not permitted.
Or he may know about kashering meat but not about shechitah, and imagine
that the only difference between Empire and Perdue is that the latter
must be salted at home.

Actually AIUI the "classic TSN" is someone who knows that Jews keep
Shabbos, but doesn't know that he is a Jew.  But "TSN" is really shorthand
for *two* cases: TSN and Ger Shenisgayer Bein Hanochrim, who knows that he
is Jewish, and willingly accepted the Ol Mitzvos whatever they might happen
to be, but the BD that converted him negligently assumed that he already
knew about Shabbos and didn't bother telling him about it.  This would
obviously also apply to someone who has been brought up to believe that
strict Shabbos observance is a custom of the very pious, the fanatical
and mysterious "Orthodox", and simply isn't relevant to the ordinary Jew.
Such a person could live among Jews and see them keeping Shabbos every
week, and yet remain in blissful ignorance that he's breaking halacha by
not doing so himself.  And if someone tells him otherwise he may believe
that they are speaking from ignorance, that they've been badly taught by
fanatical teachers, while he "knows" the "truth", that it's only a minhag
or a chumra.

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will